Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Early Years

July 19th, 2011
Michael Lee Ryan
Born September 19th, 1986
Weight: 6 pounds 15 ounces
Eyes: Green
Hair: Brown
I was born an identical twin.  My brother Matthew came out with me and we have always gotten along since!  My mother, Judy, and my father, Randy, were both 28 years old!  We were a family of four.  My mom only had to go through pregnancy once, they figured two was plenty.  My parents had been married for three and a half years before having us.  Before we were born my mother worked at SAKS Fifth Avenue as an assistant personnel director and my father was a Los Angeles Police Officer.  After having my brother and I, my mother became a stay at home mom until we started third grade.  We have always been a middle class happy family.
During our early years we were very very active!  In the book it talks about most children having a vocabulary off 300 words by three years old.  My brother and I not only talked a lot, my mom also claims we had our own silent language.  She said Matthew and I would nod our heads certain ways and know exactly what the other one was saying when no one else did.
Matthew and I also learned to socialize with each other.  Not only did we have our mother which made us feel safe and secure but we had each other.  In the section on Motor Development and Coordination I thought of all the stories my Mom and Dad tell about my brother and I playing with each other.  We stacked blocks, scribbled, fed each other.  We also had a number of instances of us taking off our diapers, throwing them on the fan and turning it on (my mother was not pleased at all!).  In Erikson's stages of psychosocial development we can see that during the second year children are able to physically explore the world and enter the Autonomy Vs. Shame & Doubt stage.  I feel my brother and I were very aware of our personal control of our environment in part because there was two of us.  We thought we could do, fix, change explore everything because with two of use we thought we could do it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment